Ahoy! Here's a little fishing game for you.
The main goal of this project was to experiment with a bunch of fun rendering effects that aren't super common in Pico-8...
...so hopefully the gameplay is worthwhile enough to justify its own inclusion.
- 3D character animation (with knees and elbows!)
- Spriteless animated fish rendering
- Water which visualizes a flow-velocity field
- Fullscreen "day to night" transition filter
- Realtime shadows, including soft shadows from the player
- "Windy grass" rendering
- Procedurally generated maps
- A shop with four gadgets
- Something unexpected, which I don't want to spoil for you
The version of the code that's included here is obfuscated to be illegible, but you can buy the real source code (formatted properly, with optional comments) on itch.io - the price is "$1 or more."
Thanks for reading - I hope you enjoy the game!
First update - fixed a bug in the minified version which broke all the item unlocks. Sorry about that!
Second update - didn't change the game, but the itch.io page is live, so I added a link above.